What an exciting year this has been with student awards, scholarships and internships!
The School of Journalism gave about $150,000 in scholarships to almost 60 students, thanks to our generous alumni and friends.
They landed amazing internships at places such as ESPN, The U.S. Olympic Committee, USA Hockey, The Ellen DeGenres Show, The Today Show, Voice of America, WUSA-9 in D.C., WDET 101.9 in Detroit, KFD Public Relations in N.Y., the Arizona Republic and the Jerusalem Post. The list goes on and on.
And, more than 80 Journalism students won national, regional and state awards and scholarships. These include some of the following national awards:
- Best of Festival Award for Interactive Multimedia-out of 2,000 entries, Broadcast Education Association (BEA);
- Online Magazine-1st Place and 2nd place, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC);
- Top Research Paper awards, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC);
- International Multimedia News Story, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC);
- Photography, Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Award;
- Television News and Feature Photography finalist, Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Award;
- Association of Women in Sports Media national scholarship and internship with ESPN;
- Journalism Education Association Future Teacher national scholarship;
- Newspaper Design, Society of News Design;
- Magazine Spread, Society of News Design;
- iPad Magazine, Society of News Design
Additional awards included EMMYs, Michigan Press Association, Michigan Association of Broadcasters, Hearst awards, Society of Professional Journalists Region 4 Mark of Excellence and American Advertising awards.
This high number of accomplishments continues the trend of each successive year. It takes special faculty, staff, family and alumni working together to help students be great. Already we are at work to do it again next year.Share via these networks: