Part 1: Materials to Submit
Below is a check list of materials that will be submitted to the International Internship Coordinator in the College of Communication Arts and Sciences prior to a face-to-face interview with the Coordinator. The materials include:
- Curriculum vitae or international resume
- Cover Letter
- Two passport size photographs
- One letter of recommendation from a MSU faculty member
- One letter of recommendation from a work supervisor or manager
- You will also need to go to the MSU department of public safety, across the street from the CAS building, and request a police background check. They will take your driver's license and student identification information, run a computer check, and provide a form letter in about a week's time to be included in your materials.
Part 2: Sequence from Application to Approval to Departure
While the sequence of Application-Approval-Departure varies slightly from student to student and major to major, a typical sequence is:
- Learn of International Internship opportunities from a presentation, word-of-mouth, web search, etc.
- Explore opportunities by searching the web, visiting with your advisor, or visiting with the Coordinator.
- Discuss with your academic advisor how the internship credits fit into your course of study.
- Submit your name and PID to the Study Abroad website. Please note that submitting your name and PID to the Study Abroad website serves only to hold a temporary space in the program for you. It does not constitute program application or approval to participate.
- Complete and submit your resume and cover letter to the International Internship Coordinator.
- Make an appointment with the International Internship Coordinator to review your resume and cover letter. These materials often require revisions.
- Make a second appointment with the Coordinator for the official program interview and to submit all required materials (resume, cover letter, passport size photos, letters of recommendation, police background check).
- Approval received from the Coordinator to participate in the program.
- The Coordinator or the Office of Study Abroad notifies the international provider of your acceptance. The provider will contact you, seeking for your resume, cover letter, and other materials.
- After official approval notification from the Office of Study Abroad: Arrange flight to the international location based on program dates.
- Attend mandatory orientation led by the Office of Study Abroad.
- Coordinate with your academic advisor and Coordinator on enrolling for credits in designated course sections.
Coordinator Contact Information
For all questions or to setup an appointment, please contact the International Internships Coordinator:
Phone: (517) 355-8988
To schedule an appointment, visit: https://www.egr.msu.edu/adcalendarShare via these networks: