Application Deadline: February 1 for Fall admission (Fall application review only).
Admission is determined by The HRC Masters Affairs Committee. The selection criteria employed places emphasis on grade point average, coursework, GRE, TOEFL for international students, letters of recommendation, and student's academic interests.
Step 1: Complete the Online MSU Graduate School Application
The fee is $50 and can be paid with credit card, check (US funds), or money order (see application for details). Please remember to write down the application ID number for you will need this for the next step.
Step 2: When you receive your email confirmation of receipt of the MSU Graduate Application you will also receive a link to the MSU Graduate Application Portal. Please link to this portal and create your MSU Graduate Application account.
The MSU Graduate Application system will require online submission of the following (no hardcopies of the following will be accepted):
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional work and are willing to assess your aptitude for graduate work. Once you have listed your recommenders and their email addresses the system will generate an email to your recommenders explaining the process to submit their letters electronically (NO HARDCOPIES accepted).
- An Academic Statement: A concise academic statement of your plans for graduate study, your career goals, and how MSU's HRC MA program will help you meet your career and educational objectives.
- A Personal Statement: A concise personal statement about how your background and life experiences, including social, economic, cultural, familial, education, or other opportunities or challenges motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree.
- A Resume: Include all activities that account for your time since earning a bachelor's degree (e.g. employment, military serve, travel). Be sure to include the type of activity, name of employer, city/state, and dates. List the most recent activity first. Also include all relevant professional experiences, locations, dates.
Step 3: Send the Documents Listed Below Directly to the HRC Academic Programs Office:
- One official transcript from each university or college attended. Mailed directly from the university/college to the Health & Risk Communication Masters Program, 404 Wilson Road, 466 Communication Arts & Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1212. NO copies of transcripts will be accepted, only original transcripts sent directly from the university/college to the address above.
- Note: For Chinese applicants only: An applicant will need to use CDGDC for a transcript used for application AND again for the DEGREE-GRANTING transcript. AND as with transcripts from all international applicants they must be sent directly from the CDGDC with the express mail waybill that comes with the documents from CDGDC will be acceptable
- For International Applicants only: Statement of Financial Proof: For International graduate students who bring no dependents, financial proof is required for U.S. $37, 572. If you plan to attend summer school, proof is required for an additional U.S. $14,680 for tuition and fees, books, and miscellaneous expenses. Please submit the financial statement with your application materials. For further information please visit the website Statement of Financial Proof, or contact the Office of Admissions at (517) 355-8332.
Step 4: Request that ETS Send the Documents Listed Below to the University in an Electronic Format:
- Graduate Record Examination Scores (GRE): when submitting scores please use the university code of 1465, not department code necessary.
- In addition for International Applicants ONLY:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Computer version a minimum average of 237 with no subscores below 21 required. Internet based test an average of 93 minimum with no subscores below 21. When submitting scores please use the university code of 1465 and department code of 83 and submit directly to the Office of Admissions, 250 Administration Bldg. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
Step 5: Track the Status of your Application Online Using the University link provided.
This includes tracking of all submitted documents. We strive to update the system regularly but during high volume times we ask your patience.
Questions should be directed to:
The Master's in Health & Risk Communication
Michigan State University
466 Communication Arts & Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1212
Ph: 517 355-3471 Fax: 517 432-1192