Our world-class faculty has won numerous awards for scholarship and creative work.
- Platinum Remi, Houston International Film Festival Awards - for Missing Moon Rocks film, Troy Hale.
- MSU Foundation Professor - Shelia Cotten, in recognition of her outstanding contributions to enhancing the research stature of the university. Read more.
- Fellowship by The Greek Diaspora Fellowship Program to travel to Greece to work with the University of the Aegean (Department of Information and Communication Systems Engineering) - Constantinos K. Coursaris
- Short Form Video or Film Documentary Category for Spare Parts: Human Organ Trafficking in Bangladesh - Broadcast Education Association - Troy Hale and Sue Carter (Journalism). See award.
- Silver ADDY for Invisible Wounds in the Integrated Advertising Campaigns, Consumer Campaign, Local category: Amol Pavangadkar (Producer/Director), Archit Batra (Associate Producer), Ian Courtney (Associate Producer), Valeta Wensloff (Designer)
- Bronze ADDY for Meaningful Play Conference Materials in the Integrated Branded Content, Local or Regional/National category: Valeta Wensloff (Designer), Andrew Dennis (Illustrator), Ricardo Guimaraes (Illustrator)
- Bronze ADDY for Beyond Bollywood Poster in the Illustration, Single category: Ricardo Guimaraes (Illustrator), Amol Pavangadkar (Producer), Valeta Wensloff (Producer)
- 2017 Serious Games Community Leadership Award by the International Game Developers Association Serious Games Special Interest Group - Elizabeth LaPensée
- Award of Excellence in the Faculty Competition at BEA - Troy Hale. Spare Parts: Human Organ Trafficking in Bangladesh. Read more.
- Fellow status in The Gerontological Society of America (GSA) - Shelia Cotten. Read more.
- Bronze Telly Award Category One: Editing - Jon Whiting. 2014 WKAR Home For The Holidays show
- Bronze Telly Award Category Two: Live Event - Jon Whiting. 2014 WKAR Home For The Holidays show
- AT&T Award Winner for Excellence in Instructional Technology - Taiwoo Park. Read more.
- William F. Ogburn Career Achievement Award, Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section of the American Sociological Association (CITAMS) - Shelia Cotten
- Faculty Impact Award - Amol Pavangadkar
- Best Paper Award from the Digital & Social Media Track - Wietske Van Osch, Charles Steinfield and Yanjie Zhao at the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2016 for the paper "Team Boundary Spanning through Enterprise Social Media: Exploring the Effects of Group-Level Diversity Using a Data Science Approach"
- Bronze ADDY - Amol Pavangadkar, Producer, and Valeta Wensloff, Designer. Integrated Advertising Campaign - Local - Consumer: Beyond Bollywood Study Abroad materials
- ICA Fellow - Quello Center Director, William Dutton, was inducted into the prestigious group of International Communication Association (ICA) Fellows. View the full story.
- 2015 Michigan State University AT&T Award of Excellence - Robby Ratan for Best Blended Course for his Science Fiction, Communication & Technology course, TC 401. View full story.
- MSU Lilly Teaching Fellow - Robby Ratan
- Emmy - Troy Hale for his documentary, Missing Moon Rocks. View the full story
- Emmy - Jon Whiting for Special Event Coverage (other than News or Sports) for "Home for the Holidays." View the full story.
- Gold ADDY - Saleem Alhabash, Designer, Collateral Material: The Advertising Cocktail Book (with Paula Storrer, Designer; Saleem Alhabash, Designer; Jef Richards, Copywriter). View the full story.
- Bronze ADDY - Valeta Wensloff, Designer; Andrew Dennis, Illustrator, Advertising for the Arts & Sciences: Meaningful Play Conference 2014. View the full story.
- Best Paper Award in HCI and Consumer Health Informatics (mini-track); Nominated for the Best Paper Award in Healthcare (track) - Constantinos Coursaris, et al. A Health Belief Messaging Framework and a Randomized Controlled Trial of an SMS-based Intervention for Cancer Patient Outcomes. Proceedings of the 48th Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Kauai, Hawaii, USA
- Best Paper Award - Wietske van Osch and Constantinos Coursaris. Tracing the Evolution of Social Media Research: Topics and Theories. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Economics, Business, and Management, Bali, Indonesia.
- Gary M. Olson Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award - Charles Senteio, University of Michigan School of Information
- ALISE Doctoral Student Research Poster Award – 1st Place, Jean Tague-Sutcliffe Award - Charles Senteio, Association for Library and Information Science Education, Chicago IL
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) - Susan Wyche, given in support of junior faculty who exemplify the role of teacher-scholars through outstanding research, excellent education and the integration of education and research within the context of the mission of their organizations
- Medal of Exemplary Service by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency - Amol Pavangadkar
- Teacher-Scholar Award - Wei Peng received the coveted MSU award.
- William F. Ogburn Career Achievement Award - William H. Dutton was honored by CITASA, the Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section of the American Sociological Association with this prestigious honor. View the full story.
- W.J. Beal Outstanding Faculty Award - Robert LaRose’s achievements as a scholar, teacher and public intellectual were recognized with this MSU award.
- Silver ADDY - Valeta Wensloff, Designer; Andrew Dennis, Illustrator, Advertising for the Arts & Sciences: MSU Media Summer Camps. View the full story.
- Nominated for Best Paper - Rick Wash at the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual meeting
- Distinguished Poster Award - Rick Wash at the Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security
- Best Paper Honorable Mention (Top 5%) - Rick Wash at the ACM Computer Supported Cooperative Work conference
- Winner of the TIM Award for Best Review - Wietske van Osch at the 2014 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Nominated for best Short Documentary - Troy Hale, for Missing Moon Rocks at the Orlando Film Festival. View the full story
- Emmy: Best Documentary - Troy Hale, Imported From China. View the full story.
- People’s Choice Award - William Jeffery for game "We’ve Got Issues" at Meaningful Play 2014 (with Greg Kozma, Michael Budram and Peter Burroughs)
- MAB Merit Award, Cultural & Performing Arts - "Home For The Holidays 2014" - Jon Whiting
- Distinguished Faculty Award - Johannes M. Bauer, for his contributions to scholarship, teaching and public service.
- Communication and Information Technologies section of the American Sociological Association (CITASA) Public Sociology Award - Shelia Cotten
- Distinguished Paper Award - Jina Huh, at the 2013 American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Symposium for her research on "Patient Moderator Interaction in Online Health Communities." View the full story.
- Silver ADDY - Valeta Wensloff, Designer, Advertising for the Arts & Sciences: Meaningful Play Conference 2012. View the full story.
- Winner of the OCIS Gerardine DeSanctis Award for Best Sole-Authored Paper based on a Dissertation - Wietske van Osch at the 2013 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida
- First Runner Up for the Academy-Wide William H. Newman Award for Best Sole-Authored Paper based on a Dissertation - Wietske van Osch at the 2013 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida
- 2 Emmys - Troy Hale for PSA for "MSU Welcome Back Videos" series and Editing for A Haunted Campus. View the full story.
- Most Innovative Game - Carrie Heeter, for “DNA Roulette” at Meaningful Play 2012
- Top 4 Papers Award - Wei Peng, Game Studies SIG, Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA), Phoenix, AZ
- Best Paper Award - Wietske van Osch and Constantinos Coursaris. The Duality of Social Media: Structuration and Socialization through Organizational Communication The Eleventh Annual Workshop on HCI Research in MIS (SIGHCI). At the International Conference on Information Systems, December 17, 2012, Orlando, Florida
- First Runner Up ACM SIGMIS / AIS Best Doctoral Dissertation Award - Wietske van Osch at the International Conference on Information Systems, Orlando, Florida
- Faculty Seminar Fellow, Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Foundation - Amol Pavangadkar
- MAB Merit Award, Sports - Outdoor or Recreation - "Beneath The Pines #108" - Jon Whiting