MSU has plenty of places on campus where you can practice your craft. Hands-on learning is a great way to meet people, learn new techniques and create a portfolio.
This is an EMMY-Award winning student-produced 30-minute newscast that showcases the work of broadcast journalism students. The show airs 14 times a year on WKAR-World channel, on-campus cable and on the Focal Point website. JRN 406 students and volunteers produce, shoot and edit stories, work in the studio and maintain the show's website.
- Executive producer: Bob Gould, email@example.com
- Website: focalpoint.cas.msu.edu
- Facebook:Focal Point
SpartanEdge.com (LLC) is an online campus publication that serves the Michigan State University community. Journalism instructor Bonnie Bucqueroux and a team of students from her Journalism 108, Introduction to Mass Media, class in fall 2005 created this new entity, which they hoped would push the envelope of online journalism as far as it will go. This edgy, alternative news source is student-run and managed. The blogs, coverage and events are intended to get the campus talking and thinking.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Big Green
The Big Green online magazine is your independent, alternative publication at MSU that strives to cover local and global issues in a comprehensive, thoughtful and progressive mode. The writers and editors of this long-form online magazine showcase the writing talent of MSU students. It's another independent voice on campus.
- Email: email@example.com
Impact 89 Radio
WDBM-FM Impact 89 is a 100% student-run radio station broadcasting from the campus. During the day, Impact plays a mix of alternative, indie, and rock music. In the evenings, it has talk shows and specialty music shows. Impact has various departments for students: News Team, Video Production, Music Review, Audio Production and of course, DJ's!
- General manager: Ed Glazer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Impact89fm.org
- Facebook: Impact 89FM - WDBM-FM East Lansing, MI
- Twitter: @WDBM
This student-run publication whose name is meant to denote continuous action and anything.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.lifeatmsu.tumblr.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ING-Magazine/113292868711152
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/ingmagazine
The State News
This independent, award-winning print and digital newspaper covers the campus, East Lansing and the region. With a circulation higher than many small dailies, this five-day a week paper and website pays its student journalists and has full-time professional advisors.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://statenews.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesnews
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thesnews
The Red Cedar Log
MSUs great yearbook that includes feature stories and news items.
- Website: http://www.redcedarlog.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RedCedarLog
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/redcedarlogmsu
- Tumblr: http://www.msuyearbook.tumblr.com
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/redcedarlogmsu
As an outlet for the multi-cultural community at MSU, it seeks to entertain, educate, and enlighten the multi-cultural community while also giving students a chance to be acknowledged in a positive way.
This is a student-run fashion, beauty and lifestyle magazine at Michigan State University. It is a registered student organization. The magazine released its first issue on November 1, 2010. VIM features content as it relates to the fashion, interior design, health, beauty and entertainment industries, providing a localized, college-age spin to it. Entirely student run, VIM is to be published biyearly accommodating each major season's trends for both men and women.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/VIM-Magazine/129583533727566
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/WIMmagazine_MSU
WKAR is a part of Michigan State University Broadcasting Services, a division of MSU Communication Arts & Sciences. It includes WKAR-TV, WKAR Radio, WKAR.org, Radio Reading Service, WKAR Ready To Learn Service and Interactive Video Services. Students have the opportunity to produce and report radio and television broadcast stories.
- Website: http://wkar.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WKARPUBLICMEDIA
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WKAR
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/wkar