Congratulations, you have chosen to pursue an internship! An internship is a great way for students to transition from campus life to one of a working professional. It offers students a practical way to integrate the classroom experience into the complex world of the professional and it enables them to:
- Develop good working habits and learn the realities of the workplace;
- Gain practical experience;
- Develop your own network of professional contact;
- Build a portfolio and enhance your resume;
- Successfully compete in today's job market.
Begin your search in CAS! The CAS Center for Careers and Internships office can help with everything from career exploration, resume and cover letter writing, mock interviews, job search strategy, and even connect students with alumni and professionals that work in your field of interest. For more information stop by room 181 CAS, or schedule an appointment with a CAS Career Advisor through your MySpartanCareer account.
Applying for ADV 493: Advertising/PR Internship
Once you are considering or receive an offer for an internship, you may apply to earn credit for you experience by applying for ADV 493. A good internship agreement will require dialogue between the student and the employer/organization. The educational value of an internship depends most on your exposure to the practice of advertising and public relations. The majority of work performed by interns must be professional in nature. Internships will vary in length, but it is recommended that they be at least 7 weeks long. You may earn ADV 493 credit for both paid and unpaid internships.
- Advertising Major;
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA;
- Completed ADV 205
If you meet the eligibility requirements, begin the application process by completing the following steps:
- Meet with your academic advisor to review your academics status, and determine if your internship placement meets the criteria to qualify for credit. Your advisor will also help you determine the proper number of credits you are eligible to earn. To schedule an advising appointment visit http://msu.campus.eab.com/. You may also stop in for walk-in advising on Wednesdays from 8-11am and 1-4pm.
- Apply for ADV 493
- Review the sample syllabus for ADV 493. Though you will not report to an actual course, you will be required to complete and submit assignments via D2L throughout duration of your internship.
If approved, you will be enrolled in ADV 493 and notified via email that the course has been added to your schedule*. You will also receive an email from the ADPR Internship Director with the ADV 493 syllabus, and instructions for accessing course information on D2L. Grades are not awarded for completion of ADV 493; you will receive a Pass or Fail based on the merit of your experience, and successful completion of all assignments during the course of your internship.
*Please note ADV 493 is billed per credit hour, similar to any other course at MSU.
For information on internships abroad visit MSU Office of Study Abroad International Opportunities Websites and Resources and http://cas.msu.edu/programs/study-abroad/.
Janice Bukovac-Phelps, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Internship Director
Department of Advertising + Public Relations
Michigan State University
325 Communication Arts and Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1212
Phone: (517) 355-6576
Lauren Gaines McKenzie
Academic Specialist | ADPR
Coordinator of Diversity and Multicultural Initiatives
College of Communication Arts and Sciences
Phone: (517) 355-7499
Fax: (517) 355-3346