The University Requirement
The computer can either be a desktop or laptop. The computer must have an Ethernet connection and a modern Web browser. If you choose a laptop computer, then you should consider having a machine that is equipped not only with Ethernet, but also with wireless capabilities so that you can communicate wirelessly with the MSU network. The MSU wireless network supports all current wireless communication protocols (802.11a, b, g).
More information on the University Computer Requirement, including details on financial aid support, is available at: http://tech.msu.edu.
If you already own a computer that meets these requirements, you are welcome to bring it with you. However, we understand that many of you will need or want to purchase a new computer for your studies at MSU. While you are free to buy or lease a computer from any source you choose, the MSU Computer Store (http://cstore.msu.edu) offers educationally discounted prices. The MSU Computer Store also has greatly reduced academic pricing (up to 75% off) on software from Adobe, Apple and Microsoft.
The College of Communication Arts & Sciences Requirement
For all students that are interested in entering the integrated media arts program (Media Sandbox) as an Advertising, Media and Information, or Journalism major, you are required to have a laptop computer with the following minimum requirements to adequately participate in your CAS coursework and upper-level major courses:
- Apple Mac laptop capable of running Mac OS X 10.11 or newer (OR Windows laptop capable of running Windows 10 or newer)
- Multicore processor with 64-bit support
- 8 GB of RAM minimum, 16 GB of RAM recommended or better
- 256 GB of storage or better (SSD or hard drive - 7200 rpm recommended)
- 1440 x 900 resolution display or better
- 3 button mouse
It is required to have the following software:
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium (currently Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Microsoft Office, Apple iWorks, Open Office, Google Docs or equivalent office suite (word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software)
- Apple iMovie or equivalent entry-level video editing software
*** Note all the Media Sandbox courses and instructors use the Apple Macintosh platform. If you purchase a Windows laptop, you are responsible for completing the assignments according to the class requirements. You need may to go to the CAS Mac labs during available open hours to complete some of your required assignments.Share via these networks: