While their careers vary, one word describes a group of alumni and industry professionals associated with the MSU College of Communications Arts and Sciences: extraordinary.
This spring, alumni, faculty and friends will be recognized for their exemplary achievements at "The Celebration”, the College’s annual alumni awards ceremony and strolling dinner on Saturday, April 8, in the WKAR Studios located in the ComArtSci Building, 404 Wilson Road, East Lansing, Mich.
Seven alumni will receive the Outstanding Alumni Award, an honor which recognizes
ComArtSci graduates who have obtained the highest level of professional or academic achievement and demonstrated service to the college and community.
A journalism graduate will receive the Rising Star Award, which honors an alumnus or alumna who graduated within the past 10 years and has a strong record of accomplishment and service to the community.
Recipients will also be recognized with the college's Honorary Alumni Award and Faculty Impact Award.
"These exceptional people are deserving of high praise and exemplify Spartans Will," said telecommunications alumnus and ComArtSci Alumni Board President Phil Bertolini. "Their ongoing achievements in communication arts and sciences engage communities, affect the lives of individuals, and make a difference in today's world through creative thought, innovation and research. We are proud of all they have accomplished, and look forward to showcasing their successes through this special celebration."
Selected annually by the ComArtSci Alumni Board, the 2017 alumni award recipients are:
- Haz Alwattar, B.A. '86 Telecommunication, Vice President of Content, Univision Radio
- Lois Bernstein, B.A. '73 Communication, Chief Community Executive, MultiCare Health SystemKathy
- Kathy Foltner, M.A. '76 Audiology and Speech Sciences, President of Foltner Consulting; Adjunct Faculty, Rush University Medical Center
- Rackeline Hoff, B.A. '65 Advertising, City Commissioner, Birmingham, Mich.
- Amy McGraw, B.A. '89 Telecommunication, Vice President of Marketing, Tropical Financial Credit Union
- Jeff Sinelli, B.A. '90 Communication, Founder, CEO, and Chief Vibe Officer, Which Wich, Inc.
- Tim Staudt, B.A. '71 Journalism, Sports Director, WILX TV; Radio Host, Staudt on Sports
- Jon Erickson, B.A. '08 Journalism and Finance, Honors; Reporter, ABC 15, Phoenix
- David and Sarah Taft, Ph.D. '63 Natural Science (Chemistry/Teaching)/ B.A. '62 Arts and Letters (English)
- To be announced in late February
Online registration for the "The Celebration" will open in late February. For more information, go to www.cas.msu.edu/celebration.
MSU Federal Credit Union is the premier sponsor of the event, reflecting their commitment to MSU alumni, the pursuit of excellence and community engagement.
"The Celebration" is one of several events during ComArtSci Awards Week, April 5-9. For a complete list of ceremonies honoring students, alumni, faculty and friends, visit http://cas.msu.edu/comartsci-awards-week/.
About the MSU Federal Credit Union
MSU Federal Credit Union, the world’s largest university-based credit union, offers a full range of personal — and business-related — financial services to Michigan State University and Oakland University faculty, staff, students, alumni, and their families worldwide, in addition to a variety of select employee groups. Founded in 1937 by MSU professors, MSUFCU has 17 branches, nearly 230,000 members, more than $3.3 billion in assets, and over 730 employees. In 2016, MSUFCU was recognized as the #1 Top Workplace in the large employer category by the Detroit Free Press, as well as one of Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for New College Grads. Also in 2016, MSUFCU was selected as one of West Michigan’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For, receiving the Michigan Business Professional Association’s top honor of Elite Overall – Best of the Best award. MSUFCU has a national reputation for excellence, and was recognized in 2016 as fifth in the nation for its financial education program by the National Youth Involvement Board.Share via these networks: