The 2017 Traverse City Film Festival is looking for MSU students interested in hands-on experience for the summer of 2017.
In previous years, MSU students from the College of Communication Arts and Sciences have joined the team in Traverse City to assist in areas like graphic design, production and more!
You must apply by April 30! The application is available on Handshake.
Internships available in:
- Communications & Media
- Event Planning
- Production Planning
- Film Management
- Graphic Design
- Music Management
- Arts Management
- Videography: Interview Team
- Video: Post-Production
Work behind the scenes of one of the 25 coolest film festivals in the country, experience the excitement and buzz, the energetic volunteers, the beautiful venues, the visiting filmmakers, the beautiful weather, the awesome music and thrilling events as a Traverse City Film Festival intern! TCFF interns get real-life experience in management and independence in a fast-paced work environment for a world-class festival with a wide scope. We are now searching for exceptional applicants for our 2017 intern class.
The TCFF is a nonprofit 501c3 organization founded in 2005 by Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore. The internships offer MSU college students hands-on experience in festival management. The full internships begin as early as May and festival-only internships begin July 17. All internships run through the Thursday after the festival, August 3.
TCFF internships are open to students from many areas of study. Interns should be dependable, committed fast learners who are able to see projects through to completion. Interns should be organized while able to work in a fast-paced environment. Potential interns must have a working personal laptop computer and cell phone that can be used during the internship.
The benefits and skills gained by MSU students from this experience include:
- Experience with programming and coordinating film screenings
- Workshop and event planning and coordination
- Social networking, blogging, and digital promotions of the festival
- Creating daily video content
- Personal networking with filmmakers, festival coordinators, and industry professionals
Full internships begin anywhere from mid-May to the first of July, depending on position. Festival-only internships begin July 17. All positions are full-time and all interns must be available through the Thursday after the festival, August 3.
Traverse City, Michigan
40 hours per week
Housing (to be provided)
Northwestern Michigan College, Traverse City, Michigan
Meal Stipend (to be provided)
Stipend will cover food expenses.
This internship may be taken for course credit; specific credit hours and assessment method to be determined by student’s college department.
Responsibilities (dependent on student’s skill set):
- Planning from concept to execution of festival parties and events
- Researching films and fact checking data for program guides and brochures
- Development of web and print graphic elements
- Fulfilling print signage and creative requests
- Scheduling and assisting with film showings
- Creating and encoding pre-show content including slide shows and bumpers
- Creating and developing content for press releases and press packets
- Creating and dispersing credentials for incoming media
- Scheduling interviews for visiting guests, sponsors, and the media
- Assisting with festival social media platforms before and during the event
- Developing and producing daily video content covering the festival
- Other tasks and duties may be identified as necessary
- Must be an MSU Student
- Fast learner, organized, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in MS-Office Suite (MS-WORD, etc.)
- Imaging, Photoshop, and InDesign a plus
- Video production and editing experience a plus
- Creative problem-solving and brainstorming skills
- Works well within a team
- Attention to detail and deadline-oriented
- Must have your own working computer
- Must have your own cell phone
- At least a 3.0 GPA
Stipend to be provided two weeks after internship start date.