These awards represent creativity, design expertise and hard work - and our college embodies these characteristics in so many ways. The ADDY awards give us a reason to publicly recognize the students and faculty - and to be recognized for the good work.
CAS students received numerous gold and silver awards and three faculty members received gold awards.
- Advertising seniors Mary Natale and Ahreum Jung each won a gold ADDY Best of Show. Natale's work was entitled "Five Guys 'Marital Status'" in the Magazine Campaign category and Jung was honored for "Are you a dipper of a squeezer?" ad for Heinz Ketchup.
- Mary Natale received a second gold ADDY for her Non-traditional campaign for "Nivea."
- Terry Sieting, Advertising student, received Gold for his Fused Hockey campaign.
- Media arts and technology senior Michael Daniels received a gold ADDY award for "ArtPrize 2011 Henry Brimmer Video Promo."
- Communication student Kelsey Gonzales received a gold ADDY for her "Visual Thesaurus" magazine campaign.
- Faculty members Henry Brimmer and Larry Steinberg received a gold ADDY awards for their Arts/Campaign work on "Ugly, Dirty, and Messy" for the MSU Department of Advertising, Public Relations, and Retailing.
- Faculty members Henry Brimmer and Valeta Wensloff received a silver ADDY award for their work on The Media Sandbox web design.
- Faculty member Henry Brimmer, with others, received a gold ADDY award in the Public Service/Mixed Media Campaign for work on the "Project FIT Social Marketing Portfolio."
- Henry Brimmer also received a gold ADDY in the Self-Promotion/Mixed Media Campaign category for work on "touch wood," his 2011 ArtPrize project.
Students Jonathan Black (2x), Michael Daniels, Brett Ekblad, Kelsey Gonzales, Lauren Mehringer, Emily Misko, Mary Natale, Lillian Noga, Terry Sieting and Brianna Willis received silver ADDY awards. Silver also went to the Campaign Team of Tom Allard, Kristen Antioho, Matt Briede, Hyunsoo Cheon, Christina Harrison, Melissa Jarosz, Jeremy Norris, John Ra, Derek Sacks and Stefanie Wieber. Students Theresa Hutchins and Qinge Wu received merit ADDY awards.
I heard from a number of alumni and friends of the college who shared how impressive and professional the student work was. The credit for that goes to the students who are working hard every day to build their portfolios, and also to the faculty members who spend hours in the classroom -- and also hours outside the classroom -- to mentor, teach, guide and shape students' lives. As an example, for the past several years, advertising faculty member Henry Brimmer has gone above and beyond to help students submit creative work for the ADDY awards. And the results are impressive.
This year is also the first year of the Media Sandbox, so we expect our number of ADDY awards to grow as the best integrated media arts program grows. Congratulations to all award winners this year.
Are you interested in learning how we are preparing tomorrow's global communicators to become masters of the creative universe? Send me your questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.