Our faculty, students and alumni have received prestigious awards. On the sciences side, our research is recognized around the world and our faculty continue to earn an impressive number of grants for their work. Meanwhile, the media arts arm of the college has been boosted through the launch of the new Media Sandbox. Our college has grown in scope and people, with new faculty and the addition of MSU Broadcasting Services. I am challenged to keep this blog a manageable length so will provide a list of ten notable accomplishments in 2011.
10. For the third time since 2008, MSU students (business and comm arts students) won first place at the National Team Selling Competition this fall.
9. Students and faculty members from the MSU College of Communication Arts & Sciences received multiple 2011 Michigan Emmy awards from the Michigan Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
8. Alum W. Clark Bunting, president and general manager of Discovery Channel, received a 2011 MSU Distinguished Alumni Award during Homecoming weekend.
7. We welcomed seven new faculty members with expertise in communication technology, design, gaming, health communication, public relations, social media and other areas. We also hired Rahul Shrivastav, the incoming chair of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders.
6. Our video game specialization was ranked No. 5 nationwide and the best in the Midwest by The Princeton Review.
5. Michigan State University Broadcasting Services, home to WKAR TV and WKAR Radio, joined MSU’s College of Communication Arts and Sciences on July 1. Since then, we have created significant student opportunities and new programming.
4. We launched the Media Sandbox, a new creative collective that includes an integrated media arts program designed to fill the growing demand for graduates with creative and multimedia skills and experience.
3. Faculty accomplishments included awards and work at ArtPrize, Michigan Association of Broadcasters, National Communication Association, Michigan Emmy awards, among others.
2. We helped our students get career-ready with award-winning and innovative events like Grand Rapids Showcase and Speed Networking (which will occur again this year), and celebrated another record year of placement for students after graduation.
1. We honored 9 alumni award winners in May at the Alumni Awards Celebration, and this year we added 1,200 new graduates to our family of alumni.
How would you describe your top 10 of 2011? I hope your year was full of accomplishments and success. Stay connected and email me at email@example.com.Share via these networks: